Wednesday 27 June 2012

Awesome Nails

I just wanted to share with you all a fantastic nail design which I tried out a few weeks ago. I saw it at The Dainty Squid (if you haven't already noticed, I love this blog).  I thought I would purchase some of the nail stickers and give it a go. They look pretty awesome, I think you will agree! But, they were by no means perfect, and I did learn some important lessons for next time.

1.  I need some better quality nail varnish! - Because you can only really use one layer of varnish on the top two parts of the pattern, they really need to be good quality to get good coverage. Mine weren't which left a few imperfections.

2. It's safest to start with the lightest colour on the bottom and graduate to the darkest on the top. Luckily I got this right without thinking about it. But I'm sure if I had tried the pattern the other way around it would have looked just awful as the yellow would not have covered the pink properly, and the pink wouldn't have covered the grey. (I'm sure when you have good quality varnish this isn't such a problem)

3. With as many layers as this, you will need a hefty wad of cotton pads and copious amounts of nail varnish remover. I nearly ran out and almost had to try and rock the 'shabby chic' look.

I will definitely try this again. Although when I first put it on it was a little shocking, in the end i grew to love it.  In fact, it brightened my day just to look at them (is that sad?). I also nearly crashed my car a few times whilst in a daze admiring them - they should come with a health and safety warning!
I tried the design again a few days ago. This time I just used different shades of red/pink.  My technique has definitely improved! The lines came out much neater this time. If I get brave maybe I will do a vlog on how to get them just right.

As always, I'd love to know what you think.

Laura xXx

7 comments:

  1. I like the second version! it looks so nice with the different shades of red and pink :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes I think I prefer these ones too. Especially since they were much neater!

      Delete
  2. I love all of these. I might have to give this a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The layers remind me of Fab lollies :)

    I am terrible at painting my nails- so bad I have given up forever; I always end up looking like I've dipped my hands in a tin of paint! Still like looking at other peoples' fancy nails though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! Maybe I will try them in the Fab colours next time. Except that will make me want to eat them! :)

      Delete
  4. LOVE your work, great color combos and designs. Would look a ton better if you kept the polish off your cuticles though. You can use a cuticle remover, then push them back with an orange stick :). Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I usually just let it wear off by itself by doing the washing up! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Wrapped Up In Rainbows, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena