Wednesday 21 November 2012

DIY Tutorial - Aztec Mugs

Whilst browsing Morrison's on my weekly shop, I spotted basic white mugs for only 35p. These mugs were screaming out for a DIY, and I had the perfect one in mind! So I decided to part with 70p and buy 2 to try out my idea. On returning home I hopped on the inter-web and purchased myself some porcelain paint markers . A few days later they arrived and here is the result.
DIY MUG
Supplies:
Just to prove I made these from scratch,  here are the mugs in their original condition.
DIY MUG
To create the pattern I wrapped 2 elastic bands around the top and bottom of the mug as a guide to draw the horizontal lines. Then I drew vertical lines, all different thicknesses.
DIY MUG
Finally I drew pretty aztec patterns in between each line. I let mine dry overnight then went over the patterns I had drawn again just to make sure they were as crisp as possible. You can see in the picture above that the pen can come out a little blotchy in areas. I found this to be a particular problem when I was going over the same areas before it had dried, so best to leave it overnight before trying that! When the pattern was finished I popped them in the oven at 160c for 90 minutes as instructed on the packet. I put them in the oven at the same time I turned it on, and I took them out once it had cooled down again to make sure the mugs didn't crack.
AZTEC PATTERN MUG
DIY AZTEC MUG
DIY AZTEC MUG

I decided to leave a gap with no pattern at the back as I thought it would be tricky to work around the handles.
AZTEC PATTERN
And they match my nails! Perfecto!

Laura xXx

5 comments:

  1. Wow they look awesome! I love aztec patterns (It's not too difficult to see you do, too.)and your mugs came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look brilliant! I definitely need to get a porcelain pen in my life :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these what a great DIY and so easy too :)
    http://joannavictoria-x.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I am loving the aztec theme on your blog recently :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you think that there are not enough varieties in promotional mugs which can appeal to your customer group then that's history now. There are many suppliers in UK who have an excellent collection of mugs of various varieties which are perfect as gifts. steampunk mug

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Wrapped Up In Rainbows, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena